Wednesday, March 5, 2008

funk

As opposed to the George Clinton/James Brown/Parliament kind of funk, I'm in the middle of a more metaphysical, motivationless, what-the-hell-am-I-doing kind of funk.

Once again the pile of things I should be doing is growing at an alarming rate, while at the same time I am having trouble concentrating. I also seem to be spending inordinate amounts of time trying to teach myself html, wandering the web in search of procrastination, and generally screwing around. Hence the post.

One of the prime culprits for this non-musical and much-less-fun-to-be-around funk is my current source of income. For a little over a year I have been working as a chef in an English gastro-pub (a curious organism that has spread around the world like some sort of unpleasant virus, reproducing the latest food crimes and leaving little but hangovers in their wake). It's been a long time since I managed to stay put in one job (or location) for more than about 6 months, which makes for an interesting, if expensive, lifestyle, and the current stretch is starting to get to me.

All of which got me thinking. I have been jumping from job to job, city to city and in some cases continent to continent for a bit over ten years now, and all I have to show for it is a confused cv, stamps in a passport and a healthy disregard for gainful employment. Is it time to settle down?


I think not.

So instead I am rewriting my cv, submitting applications and fantasizing about quitting my job.


No comments: